Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Glissade

Glissade is a new spring beer from Sierra Nevada.  It is a golden bock, a style I am not familiar with, so this post is solely my impression of the beer and not in context of its style.  It poured a dark yellow with not much foam.  It had a unique taste, prominent malts and not much hops. It is lighter than a pale ale, but with enough flavor to keep the beer interesting.  I could not discern too many distinct flavors, and am not going to try to guess at what I thought I tasted.  There was a subtle sourness throughout the beer that I liked.  Here is what Sierra Nevada says:
With restrained sweetness, we emphasize subtle malt flavor, balanced against delicate aromas of spicy and floral European hops. This complex balance helps Glissade slide across the palate—bracing us against the last cold nights of winter, while its bright golden color turns our thoughts toward spring
I didn't catch the sweetness, and will take Sierra Nevada's word that it had a floral flavor.  It had a more "beery" flavor than an ale.  I'd call it a grown-up pilsner.   It was a balanced beer with a solid mouthful.  It's a perfect weeknight beer.

Gilssade is another well made, interesting beer from Sierra Nevada, which has been producing excellent beers over the past year.  I am not sure I'd like to drink Glissade every day, but I sure would not turn one down.  I think I'm going to go get a couple of more six packs while it is still on shelves.

No comments: