Thursday, July 29, 2010

Crossing The Rubicon?

The title of this post may be an exaggeration, but not by much.  For the first time I can remember, my beer fridge has more saisons than IPAs.  I don't even think I have an IPA in my fridge after I knocked off an old, and near its drain pour stage, Green Flash West Coast IPA earlier in the week.  Currently, I have Saison Dupont and Foret, the excellent collaboration beer Saison DuBuff (I still need to formally review this beer), Saison Rue, which I am embarrassed to say I have never tried, and finally a growler of Ballast Point's Brother Levonian Saison.

I still love IPAs and will continue to seek them out, but there is little left for me to learn or discover about IPAs.  They're either piney or citrusy, super hoppy or not as super hoppy.  While there are some additional nuances, the pine / citrus distinction can explain most of an IPA's flavor profile.  The IPA that make can me step back in amazement, like Sculpin or Nelson, is rare. 

The variety in a saison (and many other Belgian-styles) makes each draft or bottle an adventure.

No comments: