Monday, January 28, 2013

Death By Hops

I read late last week in Brandon Hernandez's San Diego Reader blog that Green Flash Brewing is releasing six "hop forward" beers in 2013.  Green Flash is calling this a Hop Odyssey.  My liver's crying.  According to the blog post, the first beer is a black IPA, and is scheduled for a February release.  The following is a list, which I reformatted from the post, of the beers and their scheduled release date:

  • Imperial Red Rye IPA (8.5% ABV, 80 IBU, brewed with Columbus and Mosaic hops, and available in April) 
  • Citra Session IPA (4.5% ABV, 45 IBU, Citra, June)
  • Cedar Plank Pale Ale (6.3% ABV; 45 IBU; Cascade, El Dorado, Warrior; August)
  • Symposium IPA brewed as the commemorative beer for the 2008 Craft Brewers Conference (7% ABV; 75 IBU; Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Tomahawk; October) 
  • Double Columbus IPA (8.8% ABV, 98 IBU, Columbus, December). 
My beer drinking is way too confined to hoppy beers.  Just when I think it's time to expand my style horizon, I see a list like the one above, and think "what's the point?"  I like hoppy beers, and better just go with the bitter flow.

No comments: