Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

I had Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA last week on draft at Toronado. I was not impressed. I did not it find that hoppy and would not have known it was an IPA, but for the name. It was maltier and boozier than I was expecting. I may have liked it more if I was not anticipating a hoppy double IPA (the Pizza Port El Camino I had first probably did not help either - now that's an IPA). I am not sure what I expected from 90 Minute because I ordered it on a whim, but my palate was ready for a "West Coast" style IPA. This beer proved why Dogfish Head is brewing in Delaware and not on the West Coast.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Don't disagree with you here. 90 minute is ridiculously overrated. I thought it was funny how when it first made it to the West Coast people were going nuts and drinking all this new 90 minute on tap, then slowly the chatter was much less and people were starting to say how weak it was. Though, people who like it really promote its "balanced" nature. If I wanted a balanced beer I wouldn't be drinking a DIPA!

Rational Realist said...

I read your post on the 60 Minute after I posted on the 90 Minute. I am glad our opinions are similar. I am surprised at the hype that surrounded this beer, and like you say, this must have been before they tried it.