Tuesday, June 2, 2009

De Proef Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale

I bought a Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale after reading Hedonist Beer Jive's glowing review. I saw it at The Olive Tree Market, and who am I to pass up a funked up beer, similar in style to a Belgian golden strong ale. The brettanomyces yeast strain is prominent, both in the smell and taste. There are other spices at work, too, which blend together well. It is a dry beer, which must be a function of the brett yeast because other brett beers I have had were also dry. The bitter finish enhances the yeast and spices to make this an excellent beer. Reinaert is a complex, yet easy to drink beer. It has a 9% abv, but you don't barely notice the alcohol. BeerAdvocate only rates this beer a B+, which I thought was low, as I would have graded it a solid A. This is the first beer I have had from the De Proefbrouwerij and I will search out more. This beer comes in big 750 ml bottles and small 11.2 ounce bottles, which is, unfortunately, the size I tried.

No comments: