Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Speedway Stout

I felt like the Dos Equis guy last Friday night, except less interesting.  I don't always want an imperial stout, but when I do, I want a good one.  Alesmith's Speedway Stout is a good one.  It is a sweet, black beer, brewed with Ryan Bros. Coffee, and the the rich taste of coffee is in every drink.  This is not one of those nonsense "breakfast" beers, but a grown-up night capper.  If you were numbskull enough to drink this beer for breakfast, after a pint, you'd curl up and go back for the rest of the day.

The beer poured black and thick, with a frothy mocha foam (like how I'd picture cappuccino whip cream if it existed).  The aroma of roasted coffee burst from the bottle as soon as I opened it.   The first few sips were a jolt, but I quickly acclimated to the beer's boozy coffee and roasted malt flavor.    The remainder of the bottle became a smooth, two hour sipper.   I am always amazed at the sweetness of an imperial stout.  Speedway, even with its bitter roast coffee, was dessert-like.   I may have even picked up a hint of dark chocolate.  Speedway's sweetness balances the bitterness from the roasted malts and coffee.  Speedway is a big beer, and the alcohol was present throughout and was never shy, and it became more noticeable as the beer warmed.  This beer is a wonderful cold weather beer.

(There are many Speedway Stouts available.  The one above is, I think, the standard Speedway Stout.  It had a silver foil over the bottle cap.)

No comments: