Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Anderson Valley Imperial IPA

I have never been a huge fan of Anderson Valley's beers. In general, I think they are OK, but will always choose another craft brewery when given the choice. This afternoon I picked up Anderson's twentieth anniversary Imperial IPA and drank it this evening. Quite a beer, to say the least. It does not jump up to my list of favorite double IPAs (Dorado, Ruination and Pure Hoppiness to name a few) but it has a magnificent flavor profile and is a superb beer. The label says it has twenty different hops and significant malts. It pours a deep amber with a rich head. The bitterness was there for sure, but the malt was at the forefront, too. To me, it tastes like Alesmith's Holiday Yulesmith, which is an imperial red ale. It sure was good. Much better than Pizza Port's Imperial Red Ale. It gives me new respect for Anderson Valley's beers.

No comments: