Monday, March 10, 2008

Portland

I was in Portland (Oregon) last week and had a short time after some meetings to scout out restaurants for a longer trip to Oregon at the end of the month. I went into Henry's 12th Street Tavern, which was right across the street from where I had my all-day meeting, and had a taster of Hopworks Organic IPA and Double Mountain Hot Lava IPA. The Double Mountain was forgettable. The Hopworks had a great smell and great hop taste. Its color was pale and belied its hop presence. I thought it may need more balance but would need a full pint to pass definitive judgment. I would like to try the Hopworks again. Henry's is a beer bar and not appropriate for kids, so my stay was short.

I walked down to the Bridgeport Brewpub and Bakery at 1313 Northwest Marshall in the Pearl District. From what I had read Bridgeport's brewpub underwent an extensive remodel and recently reopened. What a cool place. It is family-friendly, too, with a kids' menu and a full menu that goes beyond the typical brewpub. This place does not mess around. I had a Bridgeport IPA and it was served in a 20 oz. pint glass with no discernible head - beautiful - the way all beers should be served. This is a mild IPA, but no wallflower. It is a flavorful, reserved beer in the English-style, not a West Coast hop-bomb. It was light orange and cloudy. It was a compelling beer that made you want to drink more. It has been a week and am looking forward to having another pint or two in a few weeks.

No comments: