Friday, January 23, 2009

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing - Judging Beer

I bought Charlie Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing several years ago. I was thumbing through it today and found a 50-point and 20-point beer judging scoring sheet. I think I will try the 20-point scale on a few beers to see how works. Here is a summary of the scale:

Appearance (15%) 0 to 3 points

Aroma (20%) 0 to 4 points

Taste (50%):
Hop / Malt Balance 0 to 4 points
Aftertaste 0 to 3 points
Mouth Feel 0 to 3 points

Overall Impression (15%) 0 to 3 points

Excellent: 18 to 20 points
Very Good: 15 to 17 points
Good: 12 to 14 points
Swill: 9 to 11 points
Drain Pour: 8 points or less

(I added the last two categories.) I will try a few reviews using this scale - it seems straightforward - and see how it goes. If it's too tedious, I'll give it up as beer drinking should not be a chore.

No comments: