Friday, January 29, 2010

Small Problem

I am a better beer acquirer than beer drinker.  I fall for the special release hype and then hoard the beers, in particular Stone’s Vertical Epic Series, of which I have multiple bottles of each year’s release dating back to 04.04.04.   I bought a beer refrigerator about eighteen months ago, as too many closets around the house were becoming permanent beer storage spots.  My problem is that the fridge is now filling with special releases or beers* that are too “big” to drink with a weeknight dinner.  (I don’t see the point of having a The Abyss on a Wednesday with tacos or spaghetti.)  The fridge is also loaded with water, wine, soda, and food, of all things.  (Does a beer fridge really need produce drawers?)  
 
The last couple of nights I went to the fridge and found nothing I was ready for or wanted to drink.   I was left to lift some of the Beer Rovette’s wheat beer.  When I am dipping into Franziskaner Hefe- Weisse I know it’s time to rethink the fridge.  Today I bought some Racer 5 and an Alpine Duet just to have some casual beer to go with dinners, and to start the process of reclaiming the beer fridge.   

 *In addition to Stone’s Vertical Epic Series, I have bottles of Stone’s 13th Anniversary Ale, several imperial stouts and high abv Belgians, along with New Holland's Dragon’s Milk and Dogfish Head’s 120 Minute IPA that weighs in at over 20% abv (both acquired via a trade with the Drunken Polack), and some nasty beers received as gifts I just haven’t dealt with.

4 comments:

The Hop Daddy said...

I don't suppose you are looking to get rid of a bottle of the 04 & 05 VE?

Rational Realist said...

i have limited 04s and 05s. You may check K&B Wine Cellar next to Windmill Farms. THey have some old VEs.

The Hop Daddy said...

Great find! I can't believe I have never been here before! Thanks!

Rational Realist said...

K&B has a good selection but its pricing is inconsistent. Make sure to visit Windmill Farms, it too has a good beer selection, including Alpine, which K&B does not carry.