Saturday, February 7, 2009

Pliny The Younger

OK, I got caught up in the Pliny the Younger hype. This afternoon I called around to the better beer bars in San Diego to see what bars had Pliny the Younger on tap. I knew Toronado had a keg yesterday and that O'Brien's was tapping its keg at 5:00 p.m this afternoon. Other bars are waiting until later in the week to tap their Pliny the Younger kegs. To my surprise, Tornado still had Pliny the Younger on tap.


I went to North Park to experience the hype. It was my third trip to Toronado, and the first on a weekend. It was packed at around 4:00 in the afternoon and I ordered my 13oz tulip glass full of Pliny the Younger. There is no doubt it's a triple IPA as the hop aroma and taste are a sharp slap. There is so much going on in each mouthful - sweet, bitter, malty, hoppy and touch of cloves. Its mouthful had a stickiness to it, due to the 10% alcohol, but the alcohol was not present in the taste. This is an awesome beer. Its balance is unbelievable. I am not sure how Russian River crafts this beer, but it's amazing. It's also a scary beer because it is so easy to drink, despite its high alcohol level. Pliny the Younger is a rare beer that lives up to its hype.

I only had one Pliny the Younger because Toronado threw me a curve ball by having Lost Abbey's Angel's Share on tap. This is another rare, highly hyped beer. I have never tried it before and here was my opportunity. It was excellent, but maybe not the best beer to try after a Pliny the Younger. It is a sipping beer with tons of flavor. Its 12% alcohol was present on every sip. It's a rich beer and worthy of its reputation.

It was well worth getting caught up in the PtY hype, and getting to try Angel's Share was an added bonus. I am going to try to get a few more glasses of PtY this week as kegs are tapped around town. It is a rare beer that is so good and so balanced.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God I'm jealous. Younger is #1 on my list of beers to try. I'll be getting the Angels Share when the shipment comes from my membership with the Abbey. Who knows when that will come though, they've already delayed their first shipment

Rational Realist said...

Younger was sure good. Glad I tried Angel's Share. I was a Saint last year and did not renew. I found all the beers were available in local stores, except a special Brett-laced Devotion. I did not make it to the party, which would have been awesome.