Friday, March 6, 2009

Mexican Food and Craft Beer

One of my favorite food and beer combinations is flavorful Mexican food, in particular carne asada, and a hoppy beer. Unfortunately, I usually have to enjoy this at home because most Mexican restaurants typically limit their beer to Mexican lagers and American macro pilsners. These are OK for a bean burrito, but fall short when the dish turns spicy. I have now found a restaurant that combines craft beer and Mexican food. The Blue Parrot Bar and Grill in Ocean Beach now has fifteen taps, ten of which are craft beers. It has a few macros and Mexican beers, but most are devoted to craft beers. Last night its tap list included Stone's Pale Ale and Arrogant Bastard, Green Flash's West Coast IPA, Bear Republic's Racer 5 and Alesmith's ESB and Nut Brown Ale. I have never seen a Mexican restaurant with a tap list this good.

The last time I was in The Blue Parrot was last summer and it had a few taps, with Racer 5 and Pabst Blue Ribbon being the only beers I remember. I was surprised when I walked in and saw it now had fifteen taps. Finally, a Mexican restaurant has the hoppy beers to match its spicy dishes. I judge a Mexican restaurant on the quality of its carne asada, and The Blue Parrot's was very good. I had the burrito and it was huge. The service was good, too, as our waitress comped a dish (without prompting) over a a slight confusion with its timing. The pricing was fair, too. There was as special last night and tacos were $2.00 (I think) and pints were only $3.00.

Ocean Beach has a little craft beer scene working. The Blue Parrot complements The Vine (right across Niagara Avenue from one another) and Newport Avenue Pizza and Alehouse, all within about a block and a half of each other. And I don't even know about all the bars along Newport Avenue.

No comments: