Friday, October 24, 2008

Beer Tasting Last Week - More Beers from Oregon

Last week we tried two more beers from my friend's September trip to Oregon. Both were from Rouge's Eugene operation, Eugene City Brewery. The first was 100 Meter Ale a rich, Double Red IPA. I am not sure I have ever head a double red IPA before, unless AleSmith's Holiday Yulesmith can be considered one. Anyhow this beer was good. It is hard for me to describe Rouge beers. All are unique, but have a similar strain running through them. I am not sure whether it is the hops, malt, water or yeast, but all have a mature, seriousness to them. Their taste is complex, with what I can only describe as an ever present tautness. As can be seen in the picture, the beer poured with little foam, had a rich, brown / amber color and was opaque.

The second beer, after a dinner out, was the Triple Jump Pale Ale. This is an American-style Pale Ale. It was not as drinkable as the 100 Meter Ale, but good nonetheless. It had a big flavor for a Pale Ale - no Sierra Nevada Pale Ale here. I read some reviews on BeerAdvocate for 100 Meter and Triple Jump and I think the tautness I described above is a pine resin flavor. Many of the reviewers detect pine in these two beers and this is probably what I was tasting. This beer, while classified as a Pale Ale, borders on the IPA style. This is because of its depth and complexity. But it is not a hop bomb West Coast-style IPA, nor is it a Northwest citrus IPA. It does not fit in a box, which is typical of the Rouge beers I have tried.

Both 100 Meters and and Triple Jump Pale Ale score high on BeerAdvocate, B+ and A-, respectively. It is hard to disagree with these scores, although I would have the grades flipped. My friend was talking to people at Rouge and was told that while Eugene City Brewery is affiliated with Rouge the brewers at Eugene City Brewery are allowed wide latitude for experimentation and beer creation. This is good for them and is reflected in their beers.

No comments: