Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Port's High Tide Fresh Hop IPA

Port Brewing's High Tide Fresh Hop IPA hit shelves late last week. This beer is a seasonal release and is in high demand. I picked up two bombers last Friday and had a bottle on Friday and Saturday nights. It's a pretty good beer. I found it hoppy, but not a traditional West Coast hop bomb. It had a strong citrus flavor, with a noticeable lemon presence. The citrus taste made the beer more a Northwestern-style IPA than a San Diego-style IPA, which is a good thing. The beer had a rich, orange color, not much of a head and poured cloudy.

It had an interesting flavor characteristic that I find hard to explain. In addition to the citrus flavor, as I worked the way down the glass I got a taste that I can only describe as muggy. It reminded me of a humid, East Coast summer evening. A strange association, but I cannot think of a better description. The muggy flavor, obviously, came from the fresh hops. I want to get another one of these beers before they are all sold out.

No comments: