Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Random Beer Notes

Real life work has taken time from beer blogging. I've had several beers over the past week, so life's not been all work. Two were kind of duds, and one was exceptional. I still look forward to the annual release of Alesmith's Summer Yulesmith, a double IPA. I tried this year's version last week and was disappointed. Sure, it had the hops and malt you'd expect from a DIPA, but the alcohol was too prominent. It overwhelmed all other flavors, and the beer was only 8.5% abv. I have had multiple IPAs over the past year with similar or higher alcohol levels that were not dominated by an alcohol taste. I like a brewer that can make a high abv beer and hide the alcohol flavor. I am sticking with what I wrote last winter that the Winter Yulesmith (imperial red ale) is my favorite of the two Yulesmiths.

I split a Lightning Elemental Pilsner over the weekend. This is a big, flavorful pilsner, and not your dad's fizzy yellow beer. For some reason, I just did not find this beer that enjoyable. Not sure why, maybe the style, but despite its bold flavor I did not care for this beer. I liked its boldness, however, and will try other Lightning beers.

A friend brought over a growler of Alpine's Duet IPA for a Sunday barbecue. This is a great beer. It has the distinct "Alpine" taste that runs through all Alpine's IPAs. This beer hit me as near perfect, great hops, great balance, and great favor. I need to get more Duet so I can write in further detail. I know Alpine is expanding its production. I hope it plans to bottle this beer.

No comments: