Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA

I received the Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA as part of a trade with the Drunken Polcak last spring. I tried it tonight. It is a big, piney beer. I was looking for a taste similar to Ballast Point's Sculpin since both are brewed with simcoe hops, but they are too different beers. The Weyerbacher is a richer, maltier beer than Sculpin. Double Simcoe tasted like a Rouge beer, and not unlike the Southern Tier IPAs I also received as part of the trade. While this is clearly a big double IPA, its 9% abv is buried in the flavors, which makes it a drinkable beer, probably too drinkable for such a high abv.

I could not pick up the simcoe hops, at least as I am familiar with through Sculpin. It was an excellent IPA, so I did not care. I made the mistake of having this beer with Wings-n-Things' chicken strips, which may have muted some of Double Simcoe's subtleties. Double Simcoe held its own with the spicy strips (although I imagine Garret Oliver would be cringing with that food pairing). I need to seek out more Weyerbacher beers.

No comments: