Friday, March 14, 2008

Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City is not known as a beer town, but the number of breweries is surprising. I was at a conference there this week and saw brews from Uinta, Squatters and Wasatch. (Squatters and Wasatch have common ownership.) Not too bad. To sell beer in a bar Utah law requires an alcohol level of 4% or less. Brewers make higher alcohol beer but not for consumption in a bar. I saw pale ales, pilsners, and the catch-all amber ales. I had a Uinta Cutthroat Pale in Delta's Crown Room. It was drinkable, but not memorable. I had a draft amber ale at a reception from an unspecified local brewer, and it was horrible and undrinkable. A Wasatch Devastator Double Bock in the bottle was good. It is an 8% double bock (a style I am not that familiar with) that was sweet, malty and refreshing. This is a drinkable beer that would be good with dessert.

No comments: