Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Stone Holiday Collaboration

I had a Stone / Jolly Pumpkin / Nogne-O collaboration beer tonight. It was in a 12 oz bottle. It poured a clear, deep copper with tan foam that quickly disappeared. It was lighter than a porter, but most certainly a dark beer. It was a wonderful holiday beer. It was brewed with sage, and its taste was prominent. Stone's website (linked above) says it also was brewed with Juniper Berries and chestnuts. It had other spices, too, and was surprisingly sweet. The finish was all Stone, a sharp hop bitterness that cut through the initial sweetness. The beer had a 9% alcohol that I could not taste, which could be scary if you had a few of these.

I have not had other beers by Jolly Pumpkin or Nogne-O, but based on this sample, I would suspect the beers are pretty good. This beer is clearly a Holiday beer, with its heavy spice. It is also a drinkable beer. I had it with dinner - lasagna - and drank over half of it without much thought before telling myself to stop and savor. Look for this beer - sold in 12oz bottles not bombers - while you can.

No comments: