Friday, January 16, 2009

Crossing the Ruibcon

I had an IPA from Sacramento's Rubicon Brewing Company the other night. I think it was old, at least I hope it was old. It looked good but the taste was off - it had the distinct flavor of "old IPA." It was not past the point of undrinkable, but that time was fast approaching. I'd like to cross the Rubicon again, but with a fresh IPA. The bottle did not have any dating mechanism so Rubicon may not get a second chance.

I will give Rubicon credit, it was certainly a West Coast IPA - i.e. a hop bomb - despite its age. This hop dominance is the main reason I'd like to try a fresh Rubicon IPA. Rubicon had a cool label, too - a man dressed in a 40's style suit, wearing a fedora and drinking a large glass of beer - but a neat label is no reason to drink a beer.

No comments: