Sunday, July 26, 2009

Juxtaposition Black Pilsner - None Shall Pass

Stone Brewing, Cambridge Brewing and BrewDog teamed up for the latest (and third) Stone collaboration beer, the Juxtaposition Black Pilsner, a 10% abv monster. This beer was announced on April 1st and the idea of Stone collaborating on a pilsner was thought of as an April Fool's joke. No joke. This post from the Stone Blog tells the story of Juxtaposition, which is an interesting read.

I picked up the Black Pilsner last night and had it with dinner tonight. This was a hectic weekend - chores, chores, chores - and I was beat at dinner. I'll admit that I did not have high expectations for the Black Pilsner. (Pilsners are nice, but rarely exciting.) Boy, was I mistaken. as this beer tasted like no pilsner I've ever had. It was dry, peppery and hoppy, and plenty of other flavors were competing with my taste buds. I could not identify all the flavors or smells, but it smelled great. This was a balanced beer, even though it has 100 IBUs. To me, the hops were not overpowering. The alcohol was non-existent, despite the 10% abv. This was a big beer, but strangely drinkable and enjoyable, even though it's unique. Apparently this beer was brewed in limited quantities, so if you are able to get this beer, don't hesitate or it will be gone soon.

Ok, "None Shall Pass" has nothing to do with this post, I just wanted to get a Black Knight reference in this post since the name Black Pilsner reminded my of the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

No comments: