Friday, August 21, 2009

City Beer Store

I visited the City Beer Store in San Francisco earlier this week. It is small but full of beers. Plus, it had about five taps. It is located in San Francisco's SOMA neighborhood. It is on the ground floor of what looked like a new, modern condo building. As you enter the store, you step down into a small seating area with the small bar. The room has shelves of beer and refrigerators full of beer on three walls.

I had to smile when I saw the tap list had two San Diego beers, Lost Abbey's Devotion and Ballast Point's Dorado. I was proud to have two such fine beers representing San Diego. Also on the list was Russian River's Sanctification. I had a tulip glass of Sanctification, and it was a marvelous, sour ale - the beer highlight of my trip.

I searched for a beer that I could not get in San Diego to enjoy later in the evening. The wide acceptance and distribution of craft beers made this search more difficult than I expected. I wanted something hoppy (of course) and something Belgian and selected Elysian Fields The Immortal IPA and a small bottle of Saison Dupont.

City Beer store is a worthwhile stop for beer lovers. All beer stores should have a set of taps. I only wish I had more time to browse the extensive selection.

No comments: