Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Bruery's Autumn Maple

The Bruery's autumn seasonal is its Autumn Maple. I did not try Autumn Maple last year, as I'm not that into pumpkin ales. I have found them full of the pumpkin flavor, but with light bodies that seem disjointed from the heartiness of the pumpkin. The Bruery has obliterated this deficiency with its Autumn Maple. This is a big, full-bodied beer that highlights the yams and has body to match. Here is a description from The Bruery's website:
(T)his year's batch has just been released. Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the “pumpkin” beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening. (ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Format: 750 mL bottles and draft).
This is a sweet, high alcohol (10% abv) beer, and the sweetness seemed to grow as I drank the bottle. The alcohol was not too noticeable. It took me the better part of three hours to finish the bottle. I'll admit, I tasted the yams, spices and the Belgian yeast, but could not pick up the maple syrup, although I know it and the molasses were the root of the beer's sweetness. I suspect I'll be re-visiting Autumn Maple around Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Jay H. said...

Now I have a San Diego beer question for you - do you mind emailing me directly? Thanks! - JAY