Thursday, July 29, 2010

Whirlpool on the Rubicon

I started across the Rubicon, and immediately fell into a whirlpool by the name of Brother Levonian Saison.  This year's Brother Levonian was brewed by Ballast Point.  I thought it a drinkable beer, but it's not my favorite saison.  I found it too malty and it did not have enough Belgian yeast presence for my taste.  It reminded me more of a wit than a saison, and that is not a compliment.  (I am going to have to remedy not having any IPAs in my fridge.)  It was a good looking beer, not too cloudy, more like the tail end of morning fog than opaque, and the color was a rich copper.  Brother Levonian had plenty of carbonation, but the mouthful was weak, despite the malt dominance.  I felt that this beer missed its mark.  If you drink this beer (and you should for the charity purposes alone) you'll probably think it okay.  It will leave you wanting something more and not excited to search out other saisons.

If you don't know the story behind Brother Levonian, here is information on Dave Levonian, the San Diego home brewer for which the beer is brewed in memory.

No comments: