Thursday, December 29, 2016

Rocking Red Ale

I usually choose Culture Brewing's pale ale to fill my growler.  It's a creamy, easy drinking weekday beer.  For the past few weeks Culture has had its Red Ale on tap, and I bucked my chronic pale ale habit and brought home a growler of it.  I was told this version of the Red Ale was slightly different than previous releases, with an increased level of hops.  I am picky with red ales.  I like them hop-forward, where the bitterness is stout enough to counter the heavy malts.  Culture's mahogany Red Ale captured this combination, and it managed to add an unexpected dryness that sits at the top of your mouth.   The hop bitterness, which sliced through the malt, allowed me to enjoy the beer, and each drink did not feel like I was eating a slice of heavy brown bread.   The dryness, to me, made this beer.  It added a chalky crispness, which gave the beer a sense of lightness.  Culture's Red Ale is not a complex beer, although I doubt complexity was the brewer's intention, but it tastes good and is well made.  I recommend stopping in at Culture's tasting room for a pint of this gem if you are in Ocean Beach.

No comments: