Thursday, April 5, 2018

Dankness Mojo

I was in Downtown Los Angeles earlier this year and stopped into Modern Times' The Dankness Dojo restaurant and brewery.  What a cool place.  The light designs, concrete floors, tables with old church pews for seats, and vintage magazine covers on the walls gave the smaller than I expected space a funky retro ambience, yet it felt warm.  Every time I visit Modern Times' Point Loma Lomaland Fermentorium I feel a bit unhip, and too old, and out of place.  This feeling was even more acute at The Dankness Dojo.  It is nothing any patron or Modern Times employee says or does, in fact the Modern Times' employees are always pleasant, more so than the job requires, it is just my insecurities.  Fortunately, I have never been one to let a little self-conscientiousness get in the way of a good beer or a good place to get beer.  And The Dankness Mojo is a good place to get beer.

I could not stay at The Dankness Dojo a long time, and I had to drive, so any real beer drinking was out of the question, but I did taste one of the brewed-on-premise hazy IPAs.  I did not write down the beer's name, and I am now mad at myself.  Modern Times knows how to brew hazy IPAs.  So many have no more than a bland fruitiness, but the ones I have had from Modern Times are awash in distinct flavors, and so too was this cloudy offering (at right). 

If you are in Downtown Los Angeles, I recommend The Dankness Mojo.  There are plenty of parking lots nearby, and parking did not seem that expensive.  Next time,  I plan on trying some of the "boundary-pushing plant-based cuisine," in addition to trying more beer.


No comments: