Tuesday, June 10, 2008

More On the Pour

Here is a Wall Street Journal article on short pours and "false" pint glasses. It is annoying to get a short pour, especially at today's prices. I found out about the false pint glasses in Sacramento in April. At a restaurant (whose name escapes me) I asked for a 12-oz beer rather than a pint and the waitress told me not too worry because the beer she was going to bring was not a full pint. The glass looked like a pint glass but had a false bottom, as shown in the article above.

Short pours are routine at restaurants, especially chains. I had a short-short pour at Trophy's here in San Diego a few weeks ago. Short pours are not limited to beer either. At Sammy's, a local pizza chain in San Diego, the wine pours are abysmal. The glasses are small and the pours anemic. A glass of wine should at least last until your meal comes. The wine is full priced, too, with a glass of wine ranging from $7 to $9. If you are going to Macaroni Grill (as mentioned in the article), not only will you get a "falsie," but it will likely be a short pour, too. Eating at better, non-chain restaurants is one solution. I have found that local restaurants where the owners are serious about food tend to have better wine and beer, and the pours reflect this attitude.

It's strange that the article above mentioned short pours and false bottoms in Portland. When we were there a few weeks ago I was impressed with the quality of the pours, not a short pour in three days. I even dubbed a good pour a Portland Pour.

No comments: