Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Catchup Post

I wish I had the time to post in more depth about the following beers, but I don't. I am stressed out that I have not posted in nearly a week. I was disappointed in Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. I did not find it that hoppy, despite the "102 IBU4U" claim. Not a bad beer, but a lighter mouthful than would be expected. While an enjoyable, drinkable beer, I thought there was "no there, there."

La Chouffe's Golden Belgian Ale is a great beer. Such a drinkable beer, despite its spices. This beer reinforces my appreciation of the Belgian Golden Ale style.

I had a meeting in Carlsbad yesterday morning, which gave me an excuse to stop by Pizza Port to have two growlers filled. One was a hefeweizen, Warm Water Wheat, and the second was Trigger Hoppy, a Belgian IPA. The people sharing Warm Water with me had tastes of banana and chocolate. To me, an ambivalent hefe drinker, Warm Water was really good, and hit the spot after a stressful day (even though I could taste neither banana or chocolate). Trigger Hoppy was excellent. It had a large hop presence and I did not catch too much of the Belgian influence. The picture on the right is Trigger Hoppy.

The last beer we shared this evening was a bomber of Ballast Point's Tongue Buckler (unfortunately no picture). It confirmed my opinion that it is the best red ale - imperial or not - that I have ever tried. I think the ABV was 10%, but it was not off putting. It seemed well balanced and approachable. I need to get a few more bombers before Ballast Point runs out.

1 comment:

JessetheHutt said...

Try Hop Stoopid the first week it hits the shelf. Drastic difference as this one doesn't shelve well, even when stored correctly.
Just my two cents.