Thursday, May 21, 2009

Alpine's McIlhenney's Irish Red

I figure I knew at some point I'd taste an Alpine Brewing beer that I wasn't crazy about. I had Alpine's McIlhenney's Irish Red this evening and probably won't be searching for another. It was all malt, which was just too much for my hop-trained taste buds. Like all Alpine beers, I could tell it was well made, but McIlhenney's just did not appeal to me. I think the style had more to do with my disappointment than the beer. Irish reds, from what I understand, are malt bombs, so McIlhenney's is true to style. I had prepared myself for a bastardized version, one with Alpine's famous hops, but Alpine stuck with the malt, to its credit. (In the picture the McIlhenny's is in the foreground and a St. Bernardus Wit is in the background.)

No comments: