Saturday, March 14, 2009

Random Beer Notes

I have been swamped at work, which I can't complain about, and wanted to post longer on each of these beers, but just don't have the time. First I had Beer Valley's Leafer Madness. Great name, not so great beer (at least the one I had last week). I think it was old. Leafer Madness is an imperial pale ale, and when I bought it I thought it was a double IPA. It was a hoppy beer, and reminded me of a beer from Rouge. It tasted stale to me. The BeerAdvocate reviews (link above) are more positive than mine.

I bought a bottle of St. Bernardus Tripel. This is a great beer. It has an 8% alcohol, but it is impossible to tell, as it has no alcohol flavor at all, which is disturbing because this beer is so drinkable. This beer is smooth and enjoyable, imparting an elegant Belgian flavor. This is now my standard for a tripel due to its straightforward approach and crisp, clean flavor. I have had other tripels that are delicious, as well, and I may like them more (The Bruery's Trade Winds Tripel) but the St. Bernardus is the benchmark tripel.

I stopped by the Toranado the other night and had another Alpine Nelson and was hoping to get Port's Killer Dana double IPA. Killer Dana had already sold out, but the bartender recommended an IPA from Moylans. Apparently it was a one-off, in a five-gallon keg that had been double hopped on accident. This was a super hoppy beer, but it opened up as it was consumed. I did not take notes but was glad I had this beer. Nelson, which I had first, is an outstanding beer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nat,

Just wanted to say once more thanks for the growler. The beer is just fantastic. No other word I could think of to describe it. I might have to pay you handsomely whenever it's released =)

Rational Realist said...

Glad you enjoyed it. It is a great beer.